. .

Invest in your success.
JVRA helps lawyers win cases by providing critical information you can use to establish precedent, determine demand and win arguments.

ARTICLE ID 195259

$________ – Toxic Tort – Tobacco – Jury finds for man addicted to smoking for 40 Years – COPD.

Broward County, FL

In this action, Big Tobacco was accused of causing a man’s nicotine addiction and COPD. The suit was resolved via jury verdict.

The plaintiff, Tom R., smoked up to four packs for over 40 years. He began smoking at age 13 in ________. Mr. R. ultimately developed severe COPD, and is now reliant on supplemental oxygen to help him breathe.

The plaintiffs filed suit in the Circuit Court of Broward County, accusing the defendant. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco. of failing to warn plaintiff of the dangers associated with their product. The plaintiff sought compensatory damages for his medical expenses, including pain and suffering, as well as punitives.

At trial, the plaintiff showed that he’d tried countless times over the years to quit smoking, using methods including gum and a patch, and only succeeded in the late ‘90s after being prescribed Zyban.The jury returned a $________ finding for the plaintiff, including $________ in compensatory damages, and $________ in punitives. The jury assigned 65 % liability to the defendant, and the remaining 35 % to Thomas R. himself.

To read the full article, please login to your account or purchase

5 ways to win with JVRA

JVRA gives you jurisdiction-specific, year-round insight into the strategies, arguments and tactics that win. Successful attorneys come to the table prepared and use JVRA to:

  1. Determine if a case is winnable and recovery amounts.
  2. Determine reasonable demand for a case early on.
  3. Support a settlement demand by establishing precedent.
  4. Research trial strategies, tactics and arguments.
  5. Defeat or support post-trial motions through past case histories.

Try JVRA for a day or a month, or sign up for our deluxe Litigation Support Plan and put the intelligence of JVRA to work for all of your clients. See our subscription plans.